Google

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Update to HTS

I couldn't do a few missions here in class due to it being on campus and the rules that apply there. So I decided to stop the Realistic simulations and move to the extended ones. The first one was rather easy. It was a simple buffer overflow. The achievement was to crash the program. They give you the script of a C program, and an input box to put what you would use to get the program to crash. Easy huh? Here's the given script:
void tuxownsyou(char *str) { char noob[60]; strcpy(noob, str); }
(I changed variables and numbers so not to violate their policy on copying in part/whole of their site)

Okay, in case some of you don't know how to complete the buffer over flow, it's quite simple. If you look at the array of noob[60], it's saying, put aside 60 bits to hold the information passed to the array. Okay, now the overflow. There's no check to see if the string entered is larger than 60, so we enter a 61 character string, and voila, program crashed, and the extended characters passed to live ram. (Correct me if I'm wrong?) Was fun, but WWAAAYYYY too simple. Next stop, mission 2!

Also on a side note, this website grades your progress. I believe you start off as a "noob" then a "script kiddie". <--- Just hit apprentice. And <--- = noob. So if I can do it, _you_ _can_ _too_!

No comments: